How To Get a Notarized Letter of Consent

author of post avatar

OneNotary Team

April 16, 2021

Travel with a kid

If you are getting ready for a big trip, you have probably thought about everything you are going to need. You have taken a close look at your packing list, you have all of your documents ready, and then you are surprised to hear that you need a notarized level of consent to travel with a minor. Why do you even need this? Learn more about getting a notarized letter of consent for you to travel with a minor.

What Is a Letter of Consent?

Essentially, a notarized letter of consent is a letter to take a child out of the country. It gives you consent to travel with a minor. You need to get this child’s travel consent form notarized. If a child is traveling without both of their parents or legal guardians, then a notarized letter of consent could be required. This is particularly important for children who are leaving the country.

Why Is it Important To Notarize a Letter of Consent for Travel of a Minor?


Countries all over the world, including the United States, have rigid requirements when it comes to traveling with children. Because of the rise of instances related to kidnapping, child abduction, and child custody cases, notarized letters of consent to travel with children are becoming increasingly more common. Furthermore, as child trafficking has become more common (and has gotten more attention), notarized letters of consent to travel with children are also going to become more common.

If you are traveling with your own child, then a passport or birth certificate for your child might be enough. On the other hand, if you are traveling with a child who is not your own, then you may be required to have a notarized letter of consent. This letter ensures that the reasons for traveling with a child are legitimate. Furthermore, it can also reduce the chances of a child getting kidnapped, abducted, or trafficked.

How To Get a Notarized Letter of Consent

If you need to get a permission to travel letter for minors, then you need to obtain a notarized letter of consent. In order to go through this process, there are several principles you have to keep in mind. These include:

  • First, you have to find a public notary who is willing to notarize your travel document. You may be able to do this in person or online. If you decide to go with a remote or electronic notary, you will have to upload your minor consent to travel document before it can be reviewed.
  • The most important part of the notarization process is to validate your identity. This can either be done in person or using videoconferencing technology.
  • When it is time for your notary session, you will meet with your notary either in person or virtually. The notary will ask you a series of questions to confirm your identity. Then, he or she will notarize your travel document.

After the process is finished, you should have your notarized letter of consent to travel with a minor.


If you need to obtain a letter of consent to travel with a minor, you may find that it is easier to use a remote notary. You are probably used to driving all over town, trying to find someone who can help you get your document notarized. Fortunately, there is an easier way to do this with OneNotary.

You might even be thinking about becoming a remote notary yourself. Some benefits include:

  • If you are a remote notary, you can set your own schedule. You can work when you want to, relax when you want to, and focus on your other career when you need to.
  • Because you are a remote notary, you can notarize documents from just about anyone located in any location. All you need is an internet connection and videoconferencing technology.
  • Because you do not need to travel between visits, the process is faster. This means that you can notarize more documents in a single day, making more money.
  • Finally, you also have fewer expenses. You do not have to worry about driving anywhere, saving a lot of money on gas.

Ultimately, we are living in a digital era. In the near future, notarizing documents using the internet is going to be the standard in the industry. It is simply faster and easier for clients. Clearly, it is easier for remote notaries as well. Traditional notaries are going to be dinosaurs in the future, only offered in offices that actually require notaries.

If you would like to become a remote notary, you can go through the process easily with an online platform such as OneNotary. With access to all the tools you need, you can start serving clients immediately. Walking you through the process from getting certified to meeting with your first client, you can become an online notary today.

The Notarization Process

Notarize a Document in the US

If you are trying to collect a notarized letter of consent to travel, the specific form you will need to fill out is called DS-3053. The steps involved in this process include:

  1. First, you need to fill out the form carefully. Do not sign it. You cannot sign up or date the farm until you are in the presence of a notary.
  2. Then, you need to decide whether you would like a passport card or a passport book. A passport card is less expensive and is easier to get. This card is only valid for entry by sea or land. You cannot use a passport card for international air travel. If you are traveling by air, you need a passport book.
  3. Next, the parent has to fill out the statement of consent. This allows you to complete the application. Usually, it is valid for 90 days.
  4. Turn, a notary will fill out the third section at the time of the appointment. This is also when you go sign and date your DS-3053 form.
  5. Finally, you can include the DS-3053 form in your passport application. This will allow you to travel with a minor child.

If you are interested in learning more about this process, you may want to take a look at a few examples.

Notarized Letter of Consent Examples

Clearly, there are a lot of moving parts involved in this process. Sometimes, it may be helpful to take a look at a completed letter to guide the way. You can take a look at them here.

Frequently Asked Questions About Notarized Letters of Consent

Some of the most common questions people ask about obtaining a travel consent letter for a minor:

What is the DS 3053 form?

This form has been specifically created as a statement of consent for the issuance of a passport to a minor who is under the age of 16.

How do I fill out a DS 3053 form?

You need to fill out this form with the help of a notary. You need to let the location, the expiration date of the commission, a notary seal, and the ID number.

What happens if one of the parents refuses to sign the passport?

You cannot fill out this form without the consent of both parents. The law is designed to prevent international child abduction, which is why both parents are required.